beauty

A Resting Bitch Face survivor: A love story between myself and Botox.

Urban Dictionary, the most accurate dictionary of our time defines Bitchy Resting Face as:

Bitchy Resting Face

1. A bitchy alternative to the usual blank look most people have. This is a condition affecting the facial muscles, suffered by millions of women worldwide. People suffering from bitchy resting face (BRF) have the tendency look hostile and/or judgmental at rest. Their expression does not necessarily reflect how they are feeling inside. BRF can ruin friendships and first impressions, start fights and kill an atmosphere.

“I think Deborah hates me!!”, “Nah don’t worry Susie, she just has a nasty bitchy resting face”

I debated even admitting this publicly for a long time, because like any cosmetic procedure, it’s sort of embarrassing. It’s embarrassing to let anyone know that you hated something so badly about yourself that you were willing to spend hard earned money to fix it. But if one more person comes up to me and asks me why I’m pissed off or says “Smile!” I will actually murder them, this seemed like a better solution. Laugh lines are a nice thing to grow old with, an angry furrowing brow is not.

But lets talk about Botox. Don’t get me wrong, I know I am a huge fan of the duck face but this does not mean I was hoping to look like a Real Housewife of Orange County, ( Or Vancouver where I question Canadian laws regarding the amount of botox you are legally allowed to pump into a single human being). But I could not stop laughing hysterically when I booked the appointment.

“ Hello, yes I would like to talk about botox, but I’m only 24”

*pause and wait for judgement along with the question if I am the real Heidi Montag*

“ Sure, what time can you come in?”

“ Well this is more preventative… Its just one very deep wrinkle”

“Yes, botox is meant to be preventative”

“I can come in on Monday.”

I envisioned the moment of the doctor busting out the marker and drawing on my face until I looked like bride of chucky. I then imagined them to glance down and continue marking up the rest of my body,

“ Oh your boobs could use some work! and Some lipo here would be grrreaat!”

But actually, it was a professional woman who looked only slightly botoxed herself who took some photos with an Ipad and said that she understood why it was bothering me. After a brief chat I was committed to some quick injections. (on my lunch break no less—where is my application for Real Housewives?)

15 minutes later I was on my way, no pain, no clown marks all over my face. The deep ass crack on my forehead was soon to be gone for good…. Or at least 6 months. I have spent the last 2 weeks feeling incredibly embarrassed that I got botox at 24.

I feel the need to say that I’m a firm believer in changing what bothers you. I refuse to tell my child that if she grows up hating her nose  that she should learn to love it. Or if my son has severe acne that it’s just part of growing up. If you are embarrassed about something on your body, whether it’s your hair, your stomach, or your skin you should never be embarrassed that society thinks you’re shallow. I refuse to live with something that has bothered me for several years, and that makes me look grumpy all the time.

Other rationale included the fact I used to buy expensive “line filler” serum from Kiehl’s that literally never made a difference, and once I did some research I learned that anything topical will never solve the problem.  I have 100 per cent never been so happy with something I have done to myself. I have spent far worse money on haircuts that I could have done better myself or hair coloring that I hated. This could possibly be the best beauty money I have ever spent.

I figured I’d share this information anyways, Botox is not meant to make you look like a lizard. It’s preventative. If I start doing this now I won’t have something that gets progressively worse in my 40s. I’d rather look 24 when I’m 24 than try to look 24 when I’m 40.

If you don’t like something, change it. Isn’t that what we’re taught?

Anyways, if y’all see me making a bitch face at you, you know I mean it now.

Here are some pictures of the problem I once faced, and also a great video explaining RBF.

BEFORE:

Me looking like the angriest human ever while enjoying breakfast on a beautiful day in LA.

Here is a good shot of the defined line.

AFTER:

Sorry for the extreme close up…

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

pamelastyle
    February 3, 2014 at 1:22 pm

i am SO proud of you and this blog post specifically. Brave. I 100% agree with everything you said. Botox for alllllll

Karly
    February 3, 2014 at 2:13 pm

You are beautiful Alex! Very well written & I applaud you for your courage. I too want Botox & I am pretty sure 95% of the other women in the world would like the same thing as well if we all just stopped worrying about what others think of us.
    (Of course in moderation 🙂 xoxoxo

luckyrabbittesfoot
      February 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm

hahah totally moderation is key, and I agree all women should do whatever makes them feel best and not feel bad about making changes! Thanks Karly!

Karly
    February 3, 2014 at 2:13 pm

(Of course in moderation 🙂 xoxoxo

luckyrabbittesfoot
      February 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Chrissy
    February 3, 2014 at 2:14 pm

You are gorgeous! Love the article

Chrissy
    February 3, 2014 at 2:14 pm

You are gorgeous! Love the article

Miss Amédée
    February 3, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I agree with some of it, Alex. Good for you for being brave and open about it.

I have an especially big hate on for Botox, but with anything, if you can say it loud & proud then you clearly have reflected on it and not just run out for an easy quick fix.

However, I have yet to see one piece of real information or study on Botox being “preventative.”
    So If you have some, besides by the people making the money from it, I would love to see for my own arguments sake.

I am also a huge “au natural” person, so I have spent the last three years of my life dedicated to switching all brand name, expensive, chemical filled products I was so fond of (Kiehls) to natural scent-free, chemical-free “nobody” ones. Especially from my pantry.

I have been practicing yoga for seven years, and my teacher explained to me that as long as you tense the muscles in your face, you WILL get wrinkles. Long-term ones, that will keep coming back and keep getting worse; there is no “preventative measure” for that. She has helped me over the last three years, do “face-yoga,” or strategic muscle relaxation of the face. Sounds crazy, but so far it has worked for me.

I just posted this because maybe it doesn’t apply to you, but I have friends (yes VAN) who started as just one simple and easy procedure, which led to one more thing and then another and another….and pretty soon they ARE Real Housewives, without even meaning to be, by the age of 28/29. And rather than taking healthy, albeit more time consuming and difficult measures to cure the problem, they just head straight to the chair for everything.

Also, I am still a firm believer that if your face says the most about you so the less you frown or feel angry, the less it shows on your face. However, some people have different genetics and this may not be as simple for them.

I believe in changing something if you don’t like it as well, I just chose a different route; and I wanted to share with you because you ARE being open about it so I can actually have a discussion, rather than dealing with all of these girls who are “pretending.”

Thanks again Alex!

luckyrabbittesfoot
      February 3, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I agree with you fully Amedee, everyone is different and we should all embrace it whether we choose to be all natural or not! As long as we are all happy and confident and feeling like our best selves.

I totally inherited my forehead lines from my dad, but I’ve also inherited his freckles so I feel like not all of the history is lost!

Thanks for reading and respecting my opinions even though they are the opposite of yours! =)

And yeah I believe if you are going to fake it a little bit in the beauty department you may as well be honest! haha

Sandra
    February 3, 2014 at 3:03 pm

You look great , quick question I would love to know where you went as I am terrified of looking like a duck?

luckyrabbittesfoot
      February 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I went to Westside Medical Clinic, in Calgary, AB! Yes duck was my fear as well haha

Schanks
    February 4, 2014 at 1:09 am

aiyanajane, this is not a perfect world and we are not perfect people. How we choose to deal with or not deal with those imperfections is entirely up to us. Alex is simply making a case for people who may have a nagging physical quality that they would like fixed, to do so comfortably and safely. Whether you think this is an issue that is plaguing our society or not, it IS part of our society and will continue to be for a very long time. That said, I do understand everything you are saying, but I feel that more emphasis should be directed towards ensuring that these procedures are being done legally and without harm to the recipients instead of judging their moral compass.

Girls/boys will be using these procedures whether we view them to be right or wrong, so it is great to see someone write a smart article that people can read and then make an educated choice as to whether these procedures are right for them. Much more beneficial than a cheap self-improvement article followed by a link to purchase miracle formula, or a 3-step improvement guidebook.

Great stuff Alex!

Schanks
    February 4, 2014 at 1:09 am

Great stuff Alex!

thewoodencoast
    February 4, 2014 at 3:15 am

Hm…I dont know. Its your choice. In my opinion you don’t need such a thing like botox. I mean you re a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile and I must know it I have seen you live. So I think a deep wrinkle wont make you less attractive just stay like your are!

Laura Lushington
    February 4, 2014 at 9:38 am

You’re a gem Alex!

Laura Lushington
    February 4, 2014 at 9:38 am

You’re a gem Alex!

Down With Grumpy Face
    February 5, 2014 at 9:04 am

“I refuse to live with something that has bothered me for several years, and that makes me look grumpy all the time.”

WE HAVE OFFICIALLY RUN OUT OF REAL PROBLEMS – Time Stamp February 5, 2014.

luckyrabbittesfoot
      February 5, 2014 at 10:15 am

To be fair, “real” problems aren’t quite as easy to solve over a 15 minute time span for a small amount of money.

Down With Grumpy Face
    February 5, 2014 at 9:04 am

WE HAVE OFFICIALLY RUN OUT OF REAL PROBLEMS – Time Stamp February 5, 2014.